Machine Design Engineer
Chattanooga, TN 37405 | Direct-Hire (Perm)
The primary responsibility of this position is to serve as a front end to pre-sale of the Company’s automation solutions including the generation of quotations and meeting with customers to ensure the scope and specification of the project. This position quotes robotic welding and material handling solutions, dedicated welding and assembly machines.
JOB DESCRIPTION (DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES) :
- Evaluate technical content of complex potential projects and develop tooling/system concepts for processing of customer assemblies.
- Determine feasibility of complex customer applications (welding or other) and complete application engineering tasks in a timely manner.
- Provide technical support to Sales, Engineering and Project Management departments.
- Accurately estimate material and labor costs required to produce the proposed equipment in a profitable manner.
- Estimate process, machinery and operator load/unload cycle times.
- Generate and review complex quotations for content and accuracy.
- Provide process expertise for Sales and Customer Support departments.
- Generate and present technical presentations to customers.
- Demonstrate understanding of the nature of the industry served and the available market.
- Exhibit a whole company perspective relative to system and solution specific opportunities.
- Assist engineers and other technical staff in design and development of products, systems, processes and equipment by analyzing technical challenges and working in accordance with customer specifications.
- When necessary, travel to the customer’s site to assist in project or product development, working with engineering design specifications, objectives and standards.
- Attend post-project review meetings for the purpose of analyzing the successes and failures of projects with respect to profitability and technical satisfaction.
- BS degree in Engineering (or equivalent).
- 7+ years of experience with automation equipment and tooling.
- 5+ years of experience with robotic welding (arc, laser, resistance) and material handling applications
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook)
- Demonstrated skills with technical writing, communication and customer relations.
- Self-motivated, able to act independently to set and manage priorities.
- Adaptability in handling changing work priorities and customer requirements.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong math skills and the ability to handle both simple tasks and complex assignments.
- High energy level and flexibility to manage job demands outside of traditional business hours.
- Ability to travel up to 15%.