Machine Design Engineer
- The North American Equipment Build Team performs the lead roles in the areas of, but not limited to: Machine design and new process development, technology evaluation and development, process improvement, process standardization, process testing and equipment building. The person filling this
- Applies advanced technical knowledge to effectively design equipment and tooling for seating product assembly or processing
- Constantly reviews the best in class manufacturing methods and reflect these in the adoption of new / optimized process solutions
- Develops and introduces new / optimized process solution to improve labor productivity, production lead time and reduce manufacturing cost
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research activity; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Plans projects by studying customer requirements (equipment specifications) along with identifying and analyzing trends in technology; conferring and collaborating with other members of engineering
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements and equipment layout while integrating these principles into machine design
- Designs equipment, machinery, and tooling to aid in the manufacturing, assembly and processing of automotive seating components
- Conduct machine / process design reviews with customers (AME, ME)
- Responsible to define and/or optimize equipment / process solutions for seating products within the business
- Oversees machine design integration and installation
- Familiar with TS and ISO standards
- Able to work in a team based management environment
- Ability to document and correspond effectively in order to convey design concepts and processing methods to customers
- Ability to interpret technical specifications
- BS degree in engineering, preferably in mechanical engineering, minimum of (5) years experience
- Strong working knowledge in CAD, preferably in SolidWorks
- Full understanding of GD&T principles
- Strong understanding of metals and plastics; mechanical wear resistance, chemical characteristics, structural integrity, etc.
- Mechanical / Machine Design; Have strong working knowledge of machine mechanics. Has had associations with items or components such as: specialized tools and fixtures, pick and place units, shuttle mechanisms, cam driven devices, frames, brackets, index tables, screw mechanisms, cylinders, bearings, gears, etc.
- Control Power Systems; Have working knowledge in areas of hydraulic, pneumatic and vacuum system design. This includes valve function, flow control, regulators, manifolds, pumps etc.
- Manufacturing / Process improvement; Have ability to study and understand existing processes or machines and find ways to improve by means of re-design, added design or additional training, focusing primarily on cycle time & downtime reduction and product throughput improvement.
- General Capabilities: Project management, problem solving /creativity, ability to work in a team environment, ability to carry out projects turnkey, leadership skills, strong project documentation skills and continuous improvement discipline
- Other Qualities: Drive for excellence, enthusiasm in the position and workplace, positive attitude and be a team player.
Please send resumes to JohnN@apstechnical.com