Mechanical Designer (manufacturing)
Greer, SC | Direct-Hire (Perm)
The qualified candidate would be responsible to create new designs based on customer request. Evaluate the complexity of new designs and recommend changes that will help reduce or eliminate manufacturing time and cost. Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Working knowledge of common machine shop techniques. Competent draftsperson.
- Deliver mechanical designs that are on schedule, on budget and meet all customer requirements.
- Proficient in SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD package
- Capable of designing tooling from sketches or verbal concepts.
- Knowledge of the use of pneumatics and hydraulics.
- Knowledge of the use of electrical devices (i.e. switches, load cells, LVDT’s, etc.) - Perform engineering calculations with respect to strength of materials, speeds, horsepower, temperature, pressure, force, etc. as related to machine and tool designs.
- Analyzes engineering drawings, and specifications to determine shape, dimensions, hardness etc. in the development of equipment, processes and products. - Examines feasibility of using one or more machines to carry out sequential operations.
- Drafts working drawings, detail drawings and bills of materials for equipment, subassemblies or product, using SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD package.
- Determines tools, fixtures and equipment to be used in fabrication and assembly of mechanical components and complete assemblies.
- Examines project instructions and drawings to determine test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment and problems involved in designing, changing or re-arranging materials.
- Formalizes and updates drawing documentation. - Review drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness, etc.
- Create drawings of existing tooling using precision measuring devices such as micrometers.
- Travel to customer site may be required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Mechanical Designer in an industrial environment
- Willingness to travel within NAFTA for machine set ups and service (up to 20% per year)
- Self-directed and result-driven - Ability to work as part of a team